Serving Our Community In Times of Crisis



Department preparation for the storm began the day after our 90th anniversary celebration and installation dinner on October 20th. We made preliminary plans, hoping the storm would pass while preparing for the worst. We made sure all tools were checked, pumps operating, and the apparatus and generators were gassed up. Members even tarred part of the roof to ensure its stability. Sunday, October 28th the day before the storm, we began to sandbag the Memorial Hall and Resurrection Church. In discussions with Pastor Farrell of Resurrection Church, he allowed us to open and operate Resurrection School as a comfort center. Who knew we were going to have to operate it as a long term shelter?

Monday October 29th, The day of the storm, calls started to come in when the first tide began flooding basements. We turned off the gas and electric of these homes and advised the residents to go to higher ground. At that point we assumed that this would be as bad as the 1991 “hundred year storm” that occurred in Gerritsen Beach. After that first tide our emergency and non emergency lines did not stop ringing.

Because of  the tidal surge, our dispatchers had to abandon the Firehouse but not before grabbing our Firefighters shoes and dry clothes and forwarding the Emergency phones to Chief Garson's Cell phone . If you called us that night she was answering your phone calls, telling you to go to a second floor and stay upstairs until the tide went down. All our members preformed exceptionally well, Trying to evacuate the elderly and families from their homes through windows to a safe location. We stayed to assist people that were trapped, along with children and seniors as cars floated past us. We shuttled dozens of people to Resurrection in the ambulance. The engine and it's crew positioned themselves on Cyrus Avenue on higher ground, while other units were blocked by water on Bijou Avenue. The crew extinguished multiple car fires. When the tide finally receded we checked on those that previously called for help and pulled people out of their homes.

Early the next morning people came to the firehouse in need of help. We knew we had to make the best of it, especially since our firehouse was almost a total loss with most of the equipment destroyed.

Our firehouse amongst the debris, instantly sprang up as a relief site. Food and clothes started to come in.  As the numbers of families that needed assistance grew, our relief efforts grew. We opened our memorial hall as supplies began pouring in from everywhere. As the supplies came in, the calls from all over the country came in to check on their loved ones. Our Vollies now had two jobs; assist our entire neighborhood with protecting life and property and now feeding, clothing and supporting our neighbors, families and friends. After a while FEMA became part of our relief center and became an official Disaster Recovery Center.



On Tuesday morning, a heart-attack victim in Gerritsen Beach waited more than 70 minutes after calling 911 before being transported to an ambulance, which couldn't get closer than three or four blocks from the residence, said John Czap, chief of the Gerritsen Beach Volunteer Fire Department. 

In another case, a stroke victim on Monday waited at least an hour before his ambulance service reached her home in the same neighborhood, Mr. Czap said.

The GBFD crew arrived at the victim's house about 15 minutes after receiving a call from the city fire department. NYC Firefighters were on scene but couldn't get a city ambulance because of the weather, he said. The GBFD was able to get in due to extensive preparations and community support.

They drove the patient to a hospital on Kings Highway but couldn't get the ambulance past the snow-clogged entrance, he said. So they enlisted hospital workers to ferry the victim on a stretcher waist-high across a highway lane and a service road.



Captain Benecke having worked a night shift at NYC Transit on the 10th into the 11th, was awakened by a phone call at about 845 a.m. from Ass’t Chief John Czap ,  to get up and turn on the TV. As they were discussing the size of the hole and the size of the initial plane, they like so many millions of others witnessed the second plane hit.

The department was immediately toned out for a State of Emergency by Chief Artie DeMello. 

Members responded to the Fire House and was informed by the Chief to Crew up Engine 1 and Ambulance 3 so that we could meet the request of the FDNY to staff and cover the quarters of E 321

In addition our Reserve Ambulance 4 was supplied and placed into service so as to maintain a presence with in the confines of Gerrittsen Beach.  We received only 1 call for the remainder of the day when FDNY dispatched us and a ladder company from Newark FD, who was stationed at the Quarters of Ladder 156, to a C.O. detector call on Stuart Street.  Earlier that evening  ( sometime around 5 or 6 pm) Asst Chief Czap and Capt Garson responded to Battery Park as part of a Triage crew.  At the request of Chief DeMello we kept a crew in Quarters that evening so as to respond locally if needed.

On the afternoon of the 12th a contingent of members reported to the quarters of FDNY 10/10 House to assist in Search and Rescue as well as recovery efforts.  We remained there at the pile @ 10/10 House till Thursday Evening/Fri morning  when we returned to the Beach.

On Saturday the 15th  Ass’t Chief Czap, Lt Romako and Capt Benecke returned to ground zero and were assigned to the Financial Center Marina to locate and recover any and all serviceable equipment. ( Ironically one of the hose lines we recovered was from FDNY Eng 321)….Over the next several months the Department was requested to provide an ambulance with crew to the recovery operations.

9/11 Crews that day:

Engine1 - Relocated to FDNY 321

  • Chauffeur - Joe Benecke

  • Officer - Chief DeMello

  • FF - Art Umlas

  • FF - Anthony Soto

  • Prob - Mike Giordano

  • Prob - James Murry

  • Prob - Cathy Benecke Jr

Firehouse - Dispatch, Ambulance 3 & 4, and Support Services

  • Dispatcher - Pat Howard

  • Lt - Cathy Benecke

  • Lt - Tee Romako

  • FF - Mark White

  • EMT - P Grady

  • Prob - Chris Lewis

  • Kenny Ferry

  • Tommy Shannon

  • Debbie Baisden

  • Tony Baisden

  • Anthony Baisden

Initial Ground Zero Crew

  • Asst Chief - John Czap

  • Captain - Doreen Garson

Firehouse Gear
Firehouse Gear
Fireman and Truck
Fireman and Truck


Mill Basin 1962

The Vollies responded with foam to help put it out.



December 19, 1960, the Vollies responded to the city’s call for assistance in fighting a blaze aboard the aircraft carrier USS Constitution 

Firehouse Gear
Firehouse Gear
Fireman and Truck
Fireman and Truck